Lecture 026: Extra Credit Help
Here are directions for completing the extra credit for this class. In the screencast I show how to:
1) Download ChemSketch (only for Drexel students)
2) Use wikipedia and Google scholar to find an article with a relevant synthetic step.
3) Draw out the single step reaction with ChemSketch.
4) Use Paint to convert the ChemSketch work into a bitmap file.
5) Create a Flickr account to upload the bitmap file and create a tag. (Everyone in my classes use at least the "orgo" tag in Flickr.)
6) Find the url referencing the picture in Flickr using properties and insert into a blog post. (I also go through creating a Blogger account)
7) Give a brief description of the reaction and link to at least one peer-reviewed article.
Notice that all the services are completely free. A freeware version of Chemsketch is available here. I don't know how it compares to the Drexel version.
The example I used was the last step in the synthesis of ibuprofen - the hydrolysis of a nitrile. This is what it looks like.
Remember the last day to have the extra credit work done is Friday June 3, 2005 at midnight.
mp3 podcast Right-click and select "save target as" if downloading manually.
There is no pdf for this lecture.
streaming screencast Flash